Want to share news from another website? Maybe someone in your group was quoted in a Record story or news article, or a faculty member wrote a guest post for another publication. That’s great news to share!
We have a special tool that allows you to share such news in a way that looks good, appeases search engines and avoids legal troubles.
- You’ll only need to do this once:
Go to Dashboard > Plugins and activate WashU News Links for Posts.
- Create a new post.
- Leave the body of the post blank.
- (Optional) Add a featured image, categories and an excerpt. If the Excerpt field is not visible, scroll to the top of the page, click “Screen Options” in the upper right and check “Excerpt.”
- Scroll down to the WashU News Links for Posts section. Paste the article’s URL in the External URL field and fill out the Source Name, e.g. St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Scroll to the upper right and click the Edit link next to Publish immediately. Adjust the date to match the article’s publication date, e.g. two days ago.
When creating a post that will link to an off-site news story, the visual editor space can remain blank.
The Tailor Posts element below features two posts that link externally using the WashU News Links for Posts plugin. A symbol at the end of each post’s title indicates that the posts link off site.