This feature is available through a plugin that needs to activated before first use.
To activate: From the WordPress dashboard, click Plugins in the left menu. Find Duplicate Posts & Pages in the list of plugins, and click Activate.
There are two ways to clone a page or post:
While editing the page:
Under Publish in the upper right, click Copy to a new draft.
Alternatively, from the Dashboard:
- In the left menu click Pages, Posts, Events, People, Places or Items.
- Hover over the title of the page you wish to copy.
- Underneath the title, click Clone or New Draft. Both actions create a draft copy of the selected page; however:
- New Draft opens the copy for you to work on.
- Clone simply adds the copy to your list of pages without opening it.
Tips and tricks
You can use this tool for any page or post type, including people, places, items and events.
Check your permalinks
When you duplicate a page, the new draft will have the original page URL, appended with -2. Sites can’t have two pages with the same URL.
If you change the title of the copied page and want the URL to match (recommended), you’ll need to edit the permalink, located underneath the page title.
- Click the Edit button to the right of the permalink.
- Delete all of the text in the permalink field.
- Click OK. Your new page title will autofill as the new permalink text.
Advanced: Replacing a published page with its clone
One reason you might use this plugin is to mock up significant changes to a published page in an unpublished draft. In this case, you may want to replace the original page with the duplicate when the changes are ready to go live.
This swap from original to duplicate can be tricky and break links. Just follow the steps below and all should go smoothly.
- Make sure the copy has the same parent page as the original.
- Edit the original page:
- Set the status to Draft.
- Change the permalink; we recommend adding -archive-DATE or -original.
- Click Update.
- Now edit the duplicate:
- Edit the permalink to delete -2. The permalink should now match the original page’s previous URL. (If you assign the duplicate a different permalink, make sure to update all links to the page and set a redirect.)
- Click Publish.
- Check your work. Make sure the duplicate version is live and that links to the page are functioning properly.