Creating a Google Analytics account
If you created a new website, or your existing website didn’t have Google Analytics, you need to set up a Google Analytics account before following the steps below. A single Google Analytics account can track up to 50 web properties.
If you need to create a new Google Analytics account, we recommend using a general Google account, rather than a personal account, to do so. If your group doesn’t already have a shared Google account, you can create one using a @wustl.edu email address.
Create or locate your tracking ID
Once you have a Google Analytics account, you can add your site as a property in Google Analytics. This will generate a tracking ID that you add to the back end of your site to link it to the Google property.
Your tracking code will look something like this: UA-1234567-8.
Replacing an existing site that has Google Analytics set up
Adding the tracking ID
- In the left menu of your site’s Dashboard, go to Settings > Google Analytics.
- In the text box next to Site Tracking Code, enter the Tracking ID you copied from Google Analytics.
- If you’d like to see your analytics on your website’s dashboard, click the button Login to Google Account and Get Access Code.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes.
- Within a day or so, log in to your Google Analytics account to check that data is being collected. You should see “sessions” (i.e., visits) being reported as of the date you set up your account. Going forward, you can log in to Google Analytics any time to see how your site is performing.